Thursday, May 14, 2009

Update: May 14, 2009

I've been suffering from a chest cold for about two weeks so things haven't moved along as quickly as I had hoped. I've had the hole cut out in the trunk for a while and like so many others who have installed this kit I had to "expand" it some in order to fit the frame for the battery box. About an hour with the angle grinder did the trick and I was finally able to set the rack on the trunk floor. There is still some clearance to add for a few bolt heads and make the cut outs for the battery box ventilation duct work. 8 batteries will be installed in this rack. I did get the brackets riveted to the underside of the car in the tunnel that once housed the old exhaust system. These brackets will hold the PVC conduit that will encase the high voltage, high current cables that connect the rear battery pack to the front. I also installed a relay and fuse block on the firewall. These are low voltage components that are used in the conversion. Finally, last night I started swapping the rear springs and shocks (thinking a 15 minute job). I only got as far as removing the nut from left side lower bolt. Once removed, the bolt would not budge since it has solidified to the steel sleeve that goes through the lower shock eyelet. I tried the penetrating oil and my BH (big hammer) to no avail, so it's time for the grinder.

No comments: