Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Update: May 18, 2009

All the struts and shocks have been removed and I have the rear shocks and springs ready to reinstall once I locate some new lower shock mount bolts. The local 'stealer' wants almost $5 each. Both lower mounts on the rear shocks were frozen so it was necessary to cut them out. I had a similar problem with left side front strut and destroyed the strut mount plate in order to grind off the top retaining nut. That mount plate was pretty well shot anyway so no extra harm done other than turning a relatively short time job into a long one. The right side one looks OK but I'm going to go ahead and order two from Arizona Autohaus. The struts and shocks on this car were way beyond the time they needed replacing. Both front bump stops were completely disintegrated along with the dust boots indicating a number of pretty hard bottom outs have happened. I found this useful forum topic on removing the cartridges from the strut. That will be the next task and I am sure the strut cap nut will present some resistance after not moving in 20 years.

Here is a comparison of the new (top) and old (bottom) rear spring and shock absorber. Notice the partially missing eyelet on the old one, some collateral damage from the removal process. The new spring has fewer coils but it is composed of thicker windings and will carry the additional battery weight while maintaining a stock ride height. These springs and shocks were part of the ElectroAuto Kit.



I got a bit crazy with the grinder while cutting off the bolt head on the left side and nicked the shock mount on the trailing arm. Probably no harm done but since the car will be about 300 lbs heavier in the rear I'd feel much better if I can build up this weak spot with some weld beads.

No comments: